5-Star Rating on
Bugs love humidity because it provides them with the moisture they need to live and thrive. Thus, many insects even have a “sixth sense” for the humidity that allows them to seek out humid environments. Warm, moist surroundings make it easier for them to fly and find food, so that’s probably why you find more annoying pests lingering in your trash area or garden during the summer.
However, you shouldn’t have to put up with them just because it’s summertime. There are a few solutions you can do to keep them away before getting professional help, such as using a fan to create a breeze, making it harder for them to fly in your home. You can also spray them with insecticide or trap them in key areas. Better yet, call pest control services in Fresno to deal with them for you!
But before Anything Else, Here’s What You Should Know about Humidity-Loving Bugs
Some creepy crawlies you’ll find during warming, moister seasons may include:
You can find them in one or more of these locations:
- Water heaters.
Location-wise, this will be especially true if any of these areas have an unrepaired leak or drip.
Dealing with These Humidity-Hogging Insects
Just before you call pest control services, there are some tips you can follow that reduce humidity and keep these pests away for quite some time:
- Use a humidistat: A humidistat is a device that monitors the humidity levels inside a building. When humidity rises above 70 percent relative humidity, it becomes a breeding ground for mold and insects. Thus, the humidistat will trigger an alarm so that the problem can be fixed as quickly as possible.
This tool can help you determine when it’s time to call pest control services while applying the next tips.
- Enact these moisture control protocols: Once you know what tools you have available, you can start to control the moisture in your home. Make sure to monitor the humidity levels, and adjust accordingly.
Before proceeding, ask yourself:
- When did a professional last service my building’s sump pump?
- Do I have a system that removes moisture from the air throughout my building? If not, do I have individual units that help remove moisture from problem areas, like the basement?
- Do I have any vapor barriers installed in my basement or crawl spaces?
- When did you last check the drainage systems?
Pest control is all about keeping your home clean and dry. If you can do that, you’ll discourage pests from entering and congregating in your home. Some ways you can achieve this while maintaining appropriate humidity levels include:
- Turning on the air conditioner. Cold air holds less moisture than warm currents, so the temperature will also reduce the humidity—and the presence of pests—around your house.
- Ventilating your home, especially after showering or cooking. Turn on exhaust fans and open all the windows to let air freely pass through.
- Regularly check and repair your plumbing to avoid leaks.
- Using a dehumidifier reduces the air’s moisture and can help prevent mold and mildew from growing.
Now You Can Call Pest Control Services in Fresno
Why go through all the trouble of reducing humidity first? Because no matter how much insecticide is used, moist environments will continue attracting pests to your home. But once you’ve maintained normal humidity levels even by just opening windows, you can immediately call Valora Pest Control services! We’re a locally-owned service that knows the ins and outs of the area; that’s why we’re well-equipped to handle humidity-loving critters and more.
Visit our website or contact us at (559) 546-8175 to get your free estimate right now!